Was the crown of thorns pinned on Jesus’ head merely an act of mercilessness by the Roman soldiers to complete the suffering of Jesus on the cross?
Thorns grew only after God cursed the ground.
Gen. 3: 17-18 Then to Adam He said, “Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree about which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat from it’;
Cursed is the ground because of you;
With hard labor you shall eat from it
All the days of your life.
Both thorns and thistles it shall grow for you;
Yet you shall eat the plants of the field; Hebrews 6: 8
This verse clearly states that the thorn isthe production of land which was cursed by God as a result of Adam’s violation of God’s commandments.
The thorn represents several meanings, including:
1. A source of distress, injuring, hurting, a weapon to destroy the others. Jdg. 8:16 So he gathered the elders of the city together; he took the desert thorns and thistles, and struck the men of Succoth with them.
2. Source of Disaster. Threat. Even though the thorn is a plant that is relatively low compared to all other plants, it is a threat that can scorch the cedars, fig trees and even grapes. (Judg. 9)
3. Thorns can inhibit growth other plant seeds around it even to chock them to death. The parable of Jesus about the sower. Matthew 13: 7, Luk 8: 7 Some others fell among the thorns, and they grew up and choked them to death.
4. The thorn defines the sin of disobedience. Isa. 32:13 lament the land of my people that is overgrown with thorns and shameful daughters; even all your houses are places of joy in a joyful city.
5. Sharpness of the tongue of a fool. Proverbs 26.9 in the mouth of a fool is like a thorn in the hand of a drunkard.
6.Futility and ignorance. Eccl. 7: 6, For like the sound of thorns burning under a pot, so is the laughter of the fool. This too is pointless
Heb. 6: 8 but if the soil produces thorns and thistles, it is useless and draws near to the curse, which ends in burning.
7. Cheating: Prov. 22: 5 Thorns and traps are in the way of those who are disobedient. who wants to keep themselves away from that person.
8. Represent the evil doing.
Jer. 33:12 The nations will be burnt to chalk, and will be burned in fire like thorns that are cut down.
9.Violence Psalm 118: 12 They surround me like bees, they burn like fire of thorns, – in the name of the LORD, I beat them back.
10. Fences, limiting freedom Mic. 7: 4 The best of them are like thorns, the most upright of them is like a thorn hedge; The day of your spies, the day of your condemnation, has come, now will begin to stir among them!
End of WORKS OF JESUS on Earth. With full awareness, He accepted the luxurious purple robe, because He is indeed the Everlasting KING, King over all kings.
Consciously, Jesus also received the crown of thorns that were pinned to Him. It is he who best understands the meaning of these thorns. Even though HE is not worthy to be crowned with thorns, but ONLY He is the only one who is READY to accept all sources of calamity for humans to become HIS crown. John 19: 2
1Co 15:21 For just as death came through a man, so the resurrection of the dead came through a man.
All Glory to the Lamb of God